Monday, December 6, 2010

13. Week | Third Homework


Shell drawing with pencil | Katharina Jourdan

The first image shows the first status of my shell drawing. I was drawing with different pencils. You can see how I improved it compared to my first homework assignment! The second image displays my final shell drawing with ink:

Shell drawing with ink | Katharina Jourdan

During the first 20 minutes in class on Tuesday, we spoke in a group of four students about our shell assignment, and in particular, our experiences with the ink. My image received a lot of attention. I was happy that my group appreciated my work because I spend time and effort on it. I think this pays off. I am satisfied with the result! The group was impressed by the strong color application. They spoke about the depth  and volume created nicely by using dark colors. The main critique of my group was that I may have overused the white crayon. The shell interacts well with the background. One student mentioned that the shell is "dancing" on the background. Maybe the droppings of the ink under the shadow pulls the attention from the shell.

I'm glad that we will have one more shell drawing assignment. In the next drawing, I will work on more clarity in the lighter and upper parts of the shell and integrate the white crayon better.

1 comment:

  1. I think is piece is very successful, I really enjoy your use of color and shading. You did a great job of not having outlines, and it has a pretty good long axis. I can see how people were saying it looks like it is "dancing" on the background.

    ReplyDelete