Saturday, September 11, 2010

Introduction

Since my childhood I like to paint and do collages. My grandma was a great drawer. She often drew animals for me and I really enjoyed coloring them. Actually I was more interest in colors than in drawing. So I made the decision to study color design. But after studying color design for one year I figured out that I want to be involved in the whole process of illustration.  I have a strong need to express my view of what is going on in the world nowadays. Because of this I changed in to graphic design.

dog and his owner | Katharina Jourdan | collage | 2009

At my University in Hildesheim, Germany my favorite classes were an illustration class and illustration project. The illustration class was taught by Barbara Koenig. I enjoyed it a lot because she really knows how to support each person personally and its skills in a familiar way. Thus, my illustration work turn out the best I have done so far. For example we have done a series of dogs with their owner, above you can see one of them. The illustration project taught by Andreas Hess I liked because he gave us a political theme to work with. This is the field I would like to go into with design. The second image shows women in Gaza, Palestine.

 crime scene Palestine | Katharina Jourdan | collage | 2009

I chose Life Drawing I because my grandma gave me her passion for drawing.  From this class I hope to enhance my drawing skills and have a better understanding of human forms. I want to be able to achieve that my illustration will look like I have them in my mind.

When I graduate I would like to work as an illustrator. I would prefer that some Illustration Agencies link “2 Agenten” in Berlin would take me in their portfolio. Thus, I will be able to make illustration for actual politics, newspapers, and magazines as well as book cover illustrations. I also would like to use my experience to travel through Asian countries and combine this with graphic design.

The last images shows the view of my window in Hildsheim:

view from my window in Hildesheim, Germany, Katharina Jourdan, drawing, 2008

If you would like to see some of my graphic design and illustration work, please have a look at my website:  katharina-jourdan.com. This is my work that I am most proud of. To design and build the website took me several months and includes some of my first self-made java scripts. I created the website last semester during my internship in a web design and graphic design company in India. Soon I will provide the text in English too.

1 comment:

  1. As soon as I saw that drawing I was like HEY! that the view from the bedroom window hehe :-)

    ReplyDelete